Hydropower is one of the cheapest sources to generate the electricity now days. The main reason is that once a dam has been built and the equipment installed, the energy source—flowing water—is free. It is a clean fuel source that is renewable yearly by rainfall and snow.
What is Hydro Power?
Hydro power also called Hydroelectric power. “Hydro” means water or anything related to water.so in Hydro Power water is the main source to rotate the turbines and generate the electricity.
Since in early history, hydroelectric power from many kinds of watermills has been used as a renewable energy source for agriculture purposes and the process of various mechanical devices, such as textile gristmills, sawmills, trip hammers, dock cranes, mills ,domestic lifts, and ore mills.
In 1878 the first house powered by hydropower is Cragside Northumberland (England) while in 1879 the first commercial hydroelectric power plant was built at Niagara Falls(Niagara is the collected name f the 3 water falls placed at the border of Canada and America) and after that in 1881 the street lamps of Niagara Falls city were powered by Hydropower.
Simple HydroPower Plant:
A common hydropower plant is a system is consist on three main parts:
- An electric plant where the electricity is produced.
- A dam that can be opened or closed to control water flow.
- A reservoir where water can be stored.
The water at behind the dam flows through an intake and forced to push against blades in a turbine, which make them to turn. Due to turning of the blades, turbine spins a generator to produce electricity. The amount of electricity that can be generated is completely depends on how far the water faalls and how much water moves through the system. The electricity can be transported for over long-distance electric lines to electric appliances used in homes, factories, and businesses.
Types of Hydro power:
- The most common and hydro power plant uses a dam on a river to store water in a reservoir which is mostly on top. When Water gates open and releases the water from the reservoir flows through a turbine, spinning it, which in turn activates a generator to produce electricity. But hydro power doesn’t necessarily require a large type of dam. Some hydro power plants are also just use a small canal to channel the river water through a turbine.
- The second type of hydro power plant called apumped storage plant. It can even store power. The power is sent from a power grid into the electric generators after that The generators then spin the turbines backward, which almost causes the turbines to pump water from a river or down side reservoir to an upper reservoir, where the power is completely stored. To use this power, the water is allow and released from the upper reservoir back down side into the river or lower reservoir. This spins and turns the turbines forward, activating the generators to produce electricity.
A micro-hydroelectric power system can be produce enough electricity for a home, farm, or ranch. But it also depends on the usage of electricity.
As Hydro power is one of the main source for generating the electricity now days so hydropower provides almost one fifth of the world electricity. Some of the largest electricity producing countries are China, Brazil, Russia, Canada and the United states.
One of the largest in the world hydro power plant is at Three Gorages on China’s Yangtze River. The reservoir for this facility started filling in 2003,
Another largest hydro power plant is in the United States located at the Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River in northern Washington. Almost More than 70 percent of the electricity made in Washington State is produced by hydroelectric facilities.
A Press Release by: Mirzeydin Ilhanli